ANIMAL WELLNESS COORDINATOR
JOB TITLE: Animal Wellness Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Kennel Operations
REPORTS TO: Wellness Manager or Kennel Manager
HOURS/TYPE: 40 hr average shift/Full-Time
Works under direct supervision of the Wellness or Kennel Manager. Works with the Wellness team in developing and implementing internal animal training and behavior programs for FMSPCA. Primary areas of responsibility include performing behaviour assessments for incoming shelter dogs, coordinating environmental and social enrichment for shelter dogs and cats, monitoring/ scoring SAFER assessments, assisting in the in shelter Clinic when the need arises, data entry, and assisting the Kennel Manager and staff with all aspects of shelter health and wellness. Provides quality animal care services in accordance with the mission, goals, and philosophy of the FMSPCA.
Works under direct supervision of the Wellness or Kennel Manager, the Animal Wellness Coordinator has the overall responsibility for carrying out its mission specifically in the health, safety and wellbeing of the animals, staff and public and for ensuring opportunity for adoptions, supporting the kennel staff, customer service, supplies management, development and monitoring of procedures, consulting with various experts on decisions which impact animals. Assist in reviewing behavioural health of shelter animals, assist in the design and implementation of behavior modification protocols, perform general office duties, animal observations and record keeping as well as health and treatment related duties at the FMSPCA.
The following statements describe the principal functions of this job and its scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including working in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load.
1. Assist the Kennel Manager with “Tool box talks” with the Kennel department staff at the beginning of each shift;
2. Lead animal enrichment program;
3. Follow all FMSPCA Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Employee Manual, Code of Ethics and Conduct and Municipal and Provincial Laws. Assist in developing new procedures as required. Seeks professional medical advice regarding animal health and care from the in shelter veterinarian when necessary;
4. In the absence of a Wellness Manager, makes daily inspection of kennels to ensure behavior and enrichment program work is completed, animals are cared for and facility is sanitary;
5. Maintain files, records and statistics using Shelter Pro and other applicable data entry programs;
6. Ensures that the public and staff receives accurate information in regards to enrichment and behavior modification;
7. Monitors the general wellbeing of shelter animals and assists in daily medical care and treatment as per Veterinarian/Wellness Manager/Kennel Manager direction;
8. Assist with intake of animals;
9. Ensure Super Puppy program is being implemented with all puppies;
10. Ensure animal to animal and animal to human socialization happening appropriately;
11. Performs monthly extra cleaning duties in the shelter and other clinic duties as directed;
12. Participates in meetings to review procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas to improve animal care. Works collaboratively with staff to achieve shelter goals;
13. Performs the duties of an Kennel Attendant or Receptionist as needed;
14. Meets with the Wellness or Kennel Manager to develop long-range programs and regularly review policies and procedures;
15. Strives to remain current on animal care standards and best practice;
16. Develops and maintains cooperative work relationships with other community agencies and organizations;
17. Participates in observing/scoring SAFER assessment on dogs based on individual animal behavior;
18. Develop, implement and maintain training programs for animals based on individual animal behavior (with approvals from the Wellness or Kennel manager);
19. Approve, set up and facilitate play dates which must be conducted before adoption, and provides recommendation of animals’ placement based on the play date;
20. Approve, set up and facilitate play buddies between the in shelter animals;
21. Review animal health checks and follow up on any unusual observations or concerns. Shall report to the Wellness, or Kennel Manager if issues are found;
22. Must have clean drivers abstract and a class 5 driver’s license or equivalent;
23. Plan and facilitate staff training sessions;
24. Assist in the development of and implementation of volunteer orientation and training;
25. Play an active role in the adoption committee;
26. Carries out other duties as assigned by the Kennel Manager.
• Strong interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills;
• Able to set priorities, organize workloads and work within tight deadlines;
• Offers high degree of professionalism, discretion, confidentiality and independence;
• Works well in a team environment;
• Strong critical thinking and decision making capabilities
• Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in new projects
• Minimum grade 12/GED Diploma
• Animal Handling experience REQUIRED;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel;
• Degree or equivalent experience in animal behavior;
• Animal Rescue experience preferred;
• Experience with cat behavior desirable;
• Able to confidently manage stress based behavior & aggression in dogs.
The Fort McMurray SPCA offers competitive wages, group benefits and training opportunities.
Click here to submit your resume